Monday, August 27, 2012

Octopus, Squid, and Clams... Oh My!


Greene Family!


Your letters were awesome, I had some pretty good laughs here in the public library. Jared's story about how everyone calls him Rick is still making laugh. Also Jared, you may have no first hour, but basically you have no 2nd hour, Mr. Sickmiller is a joke hahah. Good luck with Muha! Dad you're comment about how we're brainwashed is perfect cause just this week we were walking--a man rolled down his window and yelled, "You're brainwashed!" If he wasn't in the middle of a busy Baltimore street, I would've given him a Mormon.org card. That's crazy Trevor (Zach's cousin) got transferred, sounds similar to what happened to him almost two years back. Oh and Romney (Zach's BYU friend) is doing good Dad, he wrote me a letter and says he's getting fat but, hey, that's like part of missionary life.
 
So the moment you've all been waiting for, my new companion is... Elder Martinez! He is from Houston, Texas but his family is from Mexico and Honduras, so he is fluent in both English and Spanish. He only has two transfers left in his mission but he is a funny missionary that likes to work hard. I told him he's going to make sure I'm fluent by the end of the transfer. Elder Rose actually ended up becoming an assistant to the President! He's nervous about English work but he's a great missionary and he'll do great. Once Elder Rose left though the area was basically in my hands. So last week was one of the more challenging of my mission so far, in a good way though. I had to say a lot of prayers that the plans I had made would work out.
 
This week ended up being way cool. The last day I had with Elder Rose we ended up teaching some awesome lessons and met all of our goals for the day. One of the coolest parts was finding a man who had had lessons before and now he wanted to learn more. He even had the pass along card from 3 years ago! His name is Nicolas and we're hoping to start working with him more this week.
 
Baltimore West (I'm East) had a baptism this Sunday! It was the first in some months and we took it as the beginning of something sweet in our branch. Her name is Guadalupe, she's way cool and wants to serve a mission when she turns 21 (she's 16 I think) but I got to be a witness and I thought it was awesome.
 
So let me tell you, I've eaten some really good things here and I've eaten some not so great things. But this week, I had the worst food I've ever had! It was Peruvian Ceviche, it's raw fish, "cooked" in lemon juice and onions and it was served with octopus, squid, and clams mixed with rice. Nasty. But I recovered so don't worry.
 
The best part about this week was Rina. Me and Elder Rose taught her on his last day and we had an awesome lesson about being an example and choosing the right. She got emotional and really felt the Spirit. She accepted a baptismal date too! There's still a lot of work to do with her and her family (she still hasn't been to the Spanish branch) but we're feeling hopeful.
 
I love hearing from you and I'm sorry if this letter is a little short, we ordered a pizza and we got to go pick it up, hahah.
 
Love you guys,

Elder Greene
 
PS Elder Rose might sell me his bike so don't worry about the card thing, I still have cash that you gave me for baggage emergencies too. But I do think I'll be buying a sweatshirt today.  Anyways love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment