Monday, October 7, 2013

Stick With the Honey Baked Ham


Buenos Dias!
Conference is the best. I'm jealous you all got to go and be there! There were so many amazing talks and I know that those men (and women) who gave talks are called of God. I think one of my favorite talks was President Uchtdorf's "Come, Join With Us" talk (not sure if that's what it will be called, but just guessing). Elder Dube's talk got me pumped and Elder Vinson's talk was the closest I've come to watching Harry Potter on my mission. Oh and Priesthood session I sat in the same row as Dennis Pitta. All in all, great conference with a lot of focus on missionary work!
Well I guess you're wondering about transfers. Given my track record there was little hope... But the Lord needs me for at least 1 more here in Columbia! So me and Elder Green are both staying, and Elder Dutson is going to West Baltimore to finish training. Although we are sad to say goodbye to our son, we realize that he needs to leave the nest. They grow up so fast. Despite our sadness, Elder Green and I are pumped to stay for another together! Elder Green was extra nervous because this past week was his birthday and he received 20 lbs of food from his family, non transportable really. His birthday was over the top, his parents sent him an 8 lb Honey Baked Ham and enough sweets to put me in the hospital. (Don't worry I did not partake, although I have eaten a lot of ham)
Speaking of food, so I have been doing pretty well with my special diet. Hispanics love meat so they're glad to cook it for us. One memorable meal this week was birthday lunch for Elder Green. We went to the H's, an awesome family that's slowing coming back to church. She decided to cook us pork skin tacos. The pork skin was boiled in lard. I won't say to much about the experience but let's just say, stick with honey-baked ham.
We had a way cool miracle this week. We texted a less active, JC, if we could come over and see him and his mom (active). He said, "Nah, I'm at my cousins house. Want to come here?" Well let me think about that JC, yes I think we can fit it in. We sped as fast as our car-monitoring Tiwi would allow to his cousins house. We got there and recognized the house, it was a less active we had never gotten in with. We went in and sat with JC and his cousin J. JC told his cousin that J's dad is a member, J was really surprised, he thought his dad was Catholic. So J decided he wants to learn more! We're going over tomorrow night! Super awesome miracle.
Another tender mercy was with Hermano "V". He has been less active for years but over the past 3 months or so we have developed a really good relationship. This week he wanted help at the court, he needed translation to get out of jury duty (can't be on a jury if you don't speak english...). So we went and translated, it took a short time but after he took us to breakfast. As we talked at breakfast he opened up about why he doesn't come to church and how he knows he needs to change. It was really amazing to see how the Spirit worked on him. We hope to be able to help him back to activity this transfer.
Well I guess I better close. Thanks so much for your prayers. I know that this Church is the Church of Jesus Christ! I love you all!
Elder Greene
PS. Yeah I forgot to talk about the BYU stuff last letter. That's a bummer that I have to reapply, but hey, I probably should've focused more in college. At least Jared will know what not to do. Let me know what I need to start doing and I'll get on it.


Ever swept the carpet? Just cleaning up Elder Green's exploding birthday package.


These are the faces we would  make if we were singing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir


Greetings from the Greene(s) family.  Could be a future Christmas card.

No comments:

Post a Comment